Results from a recent 30-year Harvard study showed that nut eaters were less likely to die of diseases like cancer and cardiovascular disease. Here at UFH we are constantly praising the benefits of nuts and seeds, and cashews are no exception. Here are six simple yet unique ways to include cashews any day.
1. Cashew Milk: Soak one cup of raw cashews in water overnight (or for at least 8 hours). Puree the nuts and the liquid in a high-performance food processor with 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1-2 tbsp maple syrup. You can strain or drink as is.
2. Cashew Cheese: Soak one cup of raw cashews in water overnight (or for at least 8 hours). Drain the cashews. Puree in food processor with 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 clove of garlic, 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, salt, and some water or vegetable oil to thin to desired consistency.
3. Cashew Frosting: Soak one cup of raw cashews in water overnight (or for at least 8 hours). Drain the cashews. Puree in the food processor with 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 tablespoons coconut cream (from the can or in the form of manna), and water to thin to desired consistency.
4. Cashew Crust: In a food processor chop cashews until fairly fine but textured. Add 2 dates (pitted) and puree to combine so that the mixture is cohesive. Add water as needed. Spread into a pie tin or muffin pan as a healthy crust for many a recipe.
5. Cashew Crumble: In a food processor combine 1/2 cup cashews with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and pulse to form a crumbly topping perfect for yogurt, berries or baked fruit.
6. Cashew Clusters: In a food processor combine 1 cup cashews with 1/2 cup walnuts, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 pitted dates, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Pulse to combine and form into balls for a bite-sized treat.
What is your favorite use for cashews?
By: Katie Cavuto, MS, RD, Chef
Unite for HER and author are not responsible for any specific health or allergy needs that may require medical supervision and are not liable for any damages or negative consequences from any treatment, action, application or preparation, to any person reading or following the information in this article. References are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute endorsement of any websites or other sources. Readers should be aware that the products listed in this article may change.