The tanning trend began back in the 1920’s, when Miss Coco-Channel returned from a trip to the French Riviera + had gotten a little too much sun. And, it still exists today despite the rising cancer rates. The issue is that too much sun, can cause signs of premature aging + skin cancer, but not enough can cause Vitamin D deficiency, common in breast cancer patients. It’s a delicate balance, Dolls!
So, since I know most of us will tan anyway, I figured I’d give you a list of your best bets for avoiding the fake + fruity, petrochemical gunk. Keep in mind though, that these suntan oils do not contain any SPF, + will not prevent sunburn. For a list of safer sunscreens, check here.
Slather on these super-healthy suntan oils…
1. Bodyceuticals Organic Coconut + Aloe Body + Tan Oil, $17 A luscious, pure + nutrient-rich moisturizer for knockout, sexy skin! This amazing body oil smells like fresh coconuts + is rich in antioxidants + essential fatty acids that nourish the skin. Use for daily moisturizing or over sunscreen while you tan. Organic aloe vera provides extra skin-soothing benefits during + after sun exposure. All natural. Vegan, 100% organic ingredients, 90% certified.
2. Organic Fiji Pineapple Coconut Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil for Face, Body + Hair, $16 Cold pressed, no harsh Ingredients, no parabens + no GMOs. You will never find a moisturizer more effective than certified organic virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil in it’s purest form is one of the most natural ways to moisturize + treat dry, irritated skin + can even be used as an intensive treatment for damaged hair. Rich in vitamins + anti-oxidants, this coconut oil is a true gift from nature.
3. Mexitan Tropical Sands Dark Tanning Oil, $13 100% natural, no chemicals, no emulsifiers, no fragrances, no preservatives + made with Green Tea to reduce sunburn risk. This perfect blend of oils is an old secret recipe of the natives of Acapulco. Waterproof great for outdoor + indoor tanning! Doesn’t contain mineral oil so it won’t harm tanning bed equipment. It’s also biodegradable + eco-friendly, so it can be used in eco-nature parks.
4. By Valenti Cocco Organic Tanning Oil, $22 Pure nature in a bottle! Cocco is made with pure organically grown Extra Virgin Coconut Oil + Vitamin E for a rich dark tan + healthy glowing skin. Fabulous natural coconut scent derived from the extra virgin coconut oil. Moisturizes + nourishes the skin. Can be applied on both body + face. Use it as a tanning oil, after shower body oil, as a shimmering oil after a fabulous glowing tan + even to soften and nourish you hair. Great for indoor or outdoor tanning. Free of artificial fragrances, artificial ingredients, + petrochemicals. Made with 100% organically grown ingredients, Vegan, Gluten Free, 100% biodegradable, coral reef safe, water-resistant + eco-friendly.
5. Mercola Tanning Oil, $10 With a perfect blend of nine all-natural ingredients, each serves its own special purpose in nourishing, protecting + moisturizing your skin, while promoting a dark, rich tan. Proudly made in the USA
*Both the Mextian + Mercola oils contain lanolin, an animal derived ingredient.
Copyright © 2014, Danielle Messina. Visit The Glamorganic Goddess for more info.