Summer is near and that means more time spent outdoors with family and friends, enjoying backyard BBQ’s, beach days, camping and low-key picnics. It also means more sun exposure and hotter humid temps, which tend to leave us dehydrated and feeling sluggish. Grabbing that nearby cola or sweet tea is probably pretty tempting, but these types of beverages are loaded with extra sugars, preservatives and other unnecessary additives that are less than nourishing for our body. Thankfully, there are many other festive and nourishing summer beverages to choose from.
With just a few minutes in the kitchen, you can enjoy a vibrant, refreshing and delicious beverage.
Try one of these delicious combos:
- Unsweetened Iced Green Tea + Mint + Lemon or Orange
- Sparkling Water + Muddled Blackberries + Lime
- Unsweetened Hibiscus Iced Tea + Muddled Raspberries and Sparking Water
- Sparkling Water + Muddled Blueberries + Lemon + Basil
- Unsweetened Iced Black Tea + Muddled Peach + Orange
- Puree Watermelon + Lime + mint, then add sparkling water
Need a little more inspiration? Try one of these RD approved DIY beverage recipes!
By: Katie Cavuto, RD, Chef