I’m always on the hunt for something new to pack for lunch (aren’t we all?)! I personally love a sandwich, but that can get boring. My new obsession is this chickpea “tuna” salad. Full of flavor, fiber and veggies, this quick dish will keep you satisfied for hours!
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed -> Look for no added salt or low sodium options
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp powdered garlic
- 1 dill pickle, diced -> Can substitute ¼ C diced cucumber
- 1 tbsp dill pickle juice
- ¼ C yellow or red onion, diced
- ¼ C red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ C Dijon mustard
- ¼ C grated carrot
- ¼ C finely diced celery
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add chickpeas to bowl and mash with potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl.
- Mix well.
I usually have my chickpea salad on hearty, grain bread with sliced tomato and lettuce, finished with my favorite wildbrine fermented red beet and cabbage kraut*for an added crunch.
You can also enjoy it in a lettuce wrap, or by itself with whole-wheat crackers, cucumber slices or endive leaves.
Erin Pellegrin RD, LDN