This simple veggie jambalaya by NightOwlVegan is a delicious, satisfying and nutritious plant powered recipe, and a delicious dinner dish made with beans instead of meat.
1–2 tbsp grapeseed
1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, washed and cut
1 cup okra, washed and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 shishito peppers, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated
1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1 cup cooked rice, I use farro or black rice
1 cups water or vegetable stock
1 cup red wine
1 cup canned or cooked chickpeas
1 cup canned or cooked kidney beans
½ cup peas
juice of 1 lime
- Add the oil to a skillet or large pot and when it’s hot add the onion, cook until lightly browned add garlic oregano, turmeric, black pepper. Cook for 30 seconds
- Add veggies and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, molasses and the red wine cook another five minutes.
- Add the tamari or soy sauce and the remaining spices and stir.
- Add the chickpeas, beans and peas, stir and cook 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the juice of 1 lime
- Top with chopped scallions.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days.