These easy cinnamon applesauce ornaments make the perfect indoor family friendly activity for winter. UFH Nutrition Consultant, Michele DiCristofaro RD, discovered this recipe and they have quickly become a staff favorite – especially for those with kids!
If you create these fun ornaments, be sure to share with us on social media!
Easy Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
Recipe by bakedbyrachel.com
- 1 C applesauce
- 1 1/4 C ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together cinnamon and applesauce until a smooth ball forms. Dough should not be sticky. It should be moist and easy to handle. If necessary, adjust cinnamon or applesauce until easy to handle.
- Divide dough into two equal parts and shape into discs. Optionally, chill for an hour or longer. Chilled dough will become slightly firmer and easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle work surface well with cinnamon. Place one disc of dough down on cinnamon coated surface, sprinkle top with cinnamon and roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut using desired cookie cutters. Use a regular sized straw to carefully remove a hole (this will be where the string goes later). Transfer to prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Scraps of dough may be re-rolled for additional ornaments.
- Bake ornaments for 2 hours or until completely firm.
- Cool completely. Thread string or ribbon through the ornament holes.
- Ornaments can be hung on trees, around the house for a pop of cinnamon, or added to gift packaging!
Note: Dough will make roughly 2 dozen 3-inch ornaments.