Recipe adapted from twohealthykitchens.com
This one-bowl nutritious recipe is the perfect treat for your Valentine, Galentine, or to satisfy your chocolate craving any day.
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag us on social media! @UniteforHER
· 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
· ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose whole wheat flour)
· 1/3 cup cocoa powder
· ¼ tsp. baking powder
· ¼ tsp. salt
· 2 eggs
· 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 2 Tbsp. canola oil
· 1 tsp. vanilla
· 1-2 tsp powdered sugar for topping
· Measuring cups
· Measuring spoons
· 8×8 baking pan
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir well with a whisk until ingredients are evenly combined and brown sugar is broken up.
3. Add eggs, applesauce, oil, and vanilla, stirring just to combine and being careful not to over-mix.
4. Pour batter into an ungreased 8×8 pan. Bake for about 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean with just a few crumbs (baking longer, to get a completely clean toothpick, will yield drier, more cake-like brownies).
5. Remove pan to a cooling rack and immediately sprinkle brownies with powdered sugar. You can use a sifter to sprinkle powdered sugar over the brownies. Allow to cool before cutting.
Make it fun!
Use heart-shaped cookie cutters for a fun treat!
Thread a skewer or large toothpick alternating fresh fruit (such as strawberries, blueberries or pineapple chunks) with small brownie squares. Who doesn’t love fruit and chocolate together?