Recipe inspired by Baked by Melissa
I love a crunchy salad – especially when the temps drop. In the summer, I tend to reach for the delicate greens when I want a bowl of leafy goodness. But in the fall and winter, I want the favorites of the season – in this case it’s purple and napa cabbages – tossed with whatever veggies I had in the fridge, all married with the most delicious, bright salad dressing. It’s fresh with a little zing, and because the greens hold up so well, it’s also great for leftovers. Plus, don’t worry if you don’t have everything called for in this recipe. The beauty is that you can substitute a missing ingredient for something similar – think onion for shallot, whatever vinegar you have on hand, or that lost can of beans tucked way in the back of the pantry. The end result will still cause your taste buds to sing!
- 2 C red cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 C Napa cabbage or green cabbage – thinly sliced
- 2 small Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber – sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any type) – diced
- 2 scallions – sliced (both green and white parts)
- 1 medium carrot – shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp chives
- 1 Tbsp raw cashews
- 1 Tbsp walnuts
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ C basil leaves
- 1 ½ C spinach leaves
- 1 large lemon – juiced
- ½ C extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- In a large bowl, add all salad ingredients.
- In a blender, add all dressing ingredients and blend to combine. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. If dressing is too thick, add 1 Tbsp water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and mix to combine. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag us in your photos or Tiktoks! #uniteforher #unite4her