Recipe by Unite for HER Nutrition Senior Manager, Erin Pellegrin RD, LDN
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup whole grain rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 can/box crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup leafy greens – fresh or frozen
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning mix
1. Fill large stockpot of water and bring to a rolling boil.
2. While water is heating, cut off very top of bell peppers and remove seeds from inside pepper.
3. Once water is at a rolling boil, completely submerge peppers in water and boil for exactly 6 minutes.
4. After 6 minutes, CAREFULLY remove peppers from water and let cool.
1. Combine rice and broth (or water) in medium-sized saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring periodically.
2. When rice is about cooked and there is still some broth left in pan, add entire container of crushed tomatoes and coconut oil. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stir to heat coconut oil until completely combined.
3. When broth and liquid from tomatoes are fully absorbed and rice is cooked completely, turn off and remove from heat.
4. Stir in garbanzo beans and leafy greens.
5. If desired, season with additional salt, pepper and/or Italian seasoning to taste.
1. Stuff cooked peppers with rice mixture.
2. Serve immediately OR top with shredded cheese or breadcrumbs and finish on top rack of oven (350F) for 5-7 minutes.
OPTION: Cut peppers in half before stuffing for open-face stuffed pepper.