Recipe from the 30-day Alzheimer’s Solution Cookbook by Dean Sherzai MD, PhD and Ayesha Sherzai MD, MAS
- 1/2 C raw sunflower seeds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes or in room-temperature water overnight, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 C canned, no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 C each of chopped red onion and celery (half a small red onion and 1 large stalk of celery)
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill or fennel fronds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium 100% whole-wheat pita breads or sliced bread
- Pulse sunflower seeds, tahini, liquid aminos, mustard, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice in a food processor to a coarse paste.
- Mash chickpeas with a potato masher or fork in a mixing bowl, then mix with the red onion, celery, capers (if using) and dill.
- Add the sunflower seed mixture and stir lightly to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut pita bread in half and fill each with 3 Tbsp of the salad mixture. Or top bread slices with mixture. Add greens, onions slices, tomatoes and any other garnishes.
- Serve immediately or wrap with parchment paper for later.
Optional Garnishes: Sliced ped onion, cucumber, tomato, avocado, lettuce.
*Refrigerate any leftover mixture in an airtight container and use within 2 days.