Recipe adapted from Sweet Pea Chef
- 13 ½ x 9 ½ baking dish
- Large stock pot
- Large bowl filled with ice water
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large spoons for mixing
For the green beans:
- 1.5 – 2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed
For the crispy onion topping:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ C. almond meal (or flour of choice)
- ¼ C. parmesan cheese, grated (more if
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
For the mushroom sauce:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8-10 medium cremini mushrooms, thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chickpea flour (or flour of choice)
- ½ C. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 C. unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 C. parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add green beans and boil for 4-5 minutes, or until
almost tender, but still slightly crisp. Drain and transfer to a bowl filled with ice water to stop
them from cooking more.
- To make the crispy onion topping, start by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes or until they are tender and starting to brown. Remove from skillet and place into a medium mixing bowl.
- In the same pan used to cook the onions, add almond meal. Cook, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes, or until almond meal starts to turn slightly golden.
- Remove from heat and transfer the toasted almond meal to the bowl with the onions. Stir in the ¼ C. parmesan cheese and salt and mix until well combined.
- In the same pan, heat a little more olive oil until hot and add the mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until they are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the chickpea flour over the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Add vegetable stock and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the almond milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let cook for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the remaining 1/3 C. parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted.
- Transfer the green beans into the pan with the mushroom sauce and toss until combined.
- Pour the green bean mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the crispy onion topping.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown