Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
- 13 ½ x 9 ½ baking dish
- Large stock pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large spoons for mixing
- 12 oz. elbow pasta of choice (chickpea, whole grain, bean, high protein) **
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter
- ¼ C. minced onion
- ¼ C. flour of choice (chickpea, almond, whole grain, white)
- 2 C. milk of choice (non- dairy or cow’s milk)
- 1 C. vegetable broth
- 2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz. fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- ¼ C. seasoned panko
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta and broccoli together, according to package
directions for al dente. Drain and transfer the cooked pasta and broccoli to the prepared
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute or until flour is golden and well-combined.
- Whisk in milk and broth, raise heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil. Cook an
additional 5 minutes or until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until melted. Pour mixture on top of the pasta and
broccoli mix until well combined.
- Top with the panko and Parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast).
- Spray a little more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes until the panko is golden.
** Note not all pasta boxes are 12 oz. You may see 16 oz. boxes. If you have a food scale, weigh 12
oz., or increase all ingredients slightly to accommodate the extra 4 oz. If you need help with this,
please don’t hesitate to reach out