Do you find yourself reaching for a sweet nighttime snack after dinner? Me too! The key to creating a satisfying post-dinner snack (or any snack!) is to combine fueling carbohydrates with satiating protein and/or healthy fats (like avocado, seeds, or plant oils!). Hummus is a wonderful, well-rounded snack because beans like chickpeas are a great mixture of fiber-rich carbs and plant-based protein. Pairing them with something sweet is just an added bonus. Plus, who doesn’t love chocolate!?
- 1 15oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (optional: remove the skins for creamier hummus!)
- 1/3 cup tahini (or, if you don’t have tahini, ½ cup nut butter)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- FOR SERVING: Fresh fruit, pretzels, crackers, pita chips, graham crackers, etc.
- Can opener
- Measuring cups
- Blender or food processor
- Add all ingredients besides the chocolate chips to a blender or food processor. Pulse until smoothing, adding more milk 1 tsp. at a time if needed to become thin. Stir in ½ the chocolate chips and sprinkle the rest on top once finished.
- Serve chilled in a bowl with your favorite dippers, and enjoy!
By: Aubrey Redd, MS, RDN, LDN
Recipe Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen