Looking for a simple weeknight staple to amplify your usual routine? Look no further than this super simple (easy pea-sy *wink*) warm bean and veggie dish. The best part about this recipe is that it’s so flexible, and you can add or change the veggies with ones you love even more. Packed with fiber and plant protein, this dish will keep you feeling full whether it’s as a side dish, or your main course. Enjoy straight out of a bowl, or add overtop of a whole grain, salad, or lean protein!
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- ¾ cup broth (bone broth, vegetable broth, etc.)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Cutting board,
- Large skillet with lid
- Large mixing spoon
- Can opener
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the carrots, onion, celery, and peas until completely coated with oil. Cover the pot with a lid and turn heat to low. Let the veggies “sweat” for 20 minutes. This allows them to soften without burning or browning.
- Remove the lid. Stir in the tomato paste. Cook, stirring often, until the paste starts to darken, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Splash a small amount of broth into the skillet. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Gently stir in beans and remaining vegetable broth, adding additional broth if desired. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil. Serve warm as a side dish, or the main entrée!
By: Aubrey Redd, MS, RDN, LDN