For many of us, January brings warm soups, mugs of our favorite tea, and cozy slippers. Just because the temperature is low, doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the seasonality of bright fruits and vegetables! This deliciously fruity salsa recipe will transport you back to the dog days of summer (or at least, a nice warm day!). Paired with tortilla chips, on a bean burger, or even on top of your favorite tacos – this multicolored snack is a hit that can be enjoyed year-round.
- 3 ripe mangos, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red for color, or another if it’s on-hand!), diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- OPTIONAL: 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 lime
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large spoon (wooden, rubber, etc.
- Can opener
- Zester or grater
- Citrus juicer (you can also use your hands!)
- Mix mango, avocado*, bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, beans, and jalapeno pepper together in a large bowl.
- Roll the lime on the counter to loosen the juice inside. Zest the lime over the bowl of salsa. Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice overtop of the salsa.
- Sprinkle with salt and mix thoroughly.
- Serve chilled with your favorite dippers, or spoon overtop of your favorite dish!
*If you plan to save the salsa to use for more than one occasion, I recommend waiting to mix in the avocado before each use – to avoid it going brown!
By: Aubrey Redd, MS, RDN, LDN
Recipe Adapted from Cookie + Kate