Recipe by Michele DiCristofaro MS, RD, LDN
- Large stock pot
- Cutting board
- Large mixing spoon
- Large, fine-meshed sieve
- 2 large, bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 large, peeled carrots, chopped
- 2 large, celery stalks, peeled
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 12 cups water
- 3 Tbsp. salt, or more to taste
- Handful parsley with stems
- Add all ingredients to pot except parsley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Toss in parsley and stir.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, cover partially with lid, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain soup, discard vegetables. Save chicken for another use.
- Serve immediately.
- Add chicken, cooked vegetables, and pasta or rice for a hearty soup.
- Use broth as a base for soups, stews, and chilies.
- Sip on broth for warmth and hydration.
- Store in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Separate broth into individual containers and freeze for later use. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
By: Michele DiCristofaro MS, RD, LDN