Leave the onion and ranch dip at home! If you are looking for a dip to serve or bring to your holiday gatherings, this sweet and savory pumpkin dip is for you. Roasted pumpkin, garlic, and shallots lend to this dip’s sweetness and the finishing touch of garam masala brings in the savory! Serve this with your favorite crunchy chip for added flavor and crunch.
Sweet & Savory Pumpkin Dip
- Large knife
- Blender or food processor
- Bowl for soaking cashews
- ¼ cup unsalted cashews
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 shallot
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup water
- Garam masala garnish
- Sesame seeds garnish
- Chips for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place cashews in a bowl of water, making sure water completely covers cashews. Soak for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut pumpkin in half with a large knife and place cut-side down on a baking sheet. Poke a few holes in the skin of the pumpkin.
- Cut off the top of the garlic bulb and both ends of the shallot. Drizzle both with olive oil and salt. Wrap tightly in foil.
- Put the pumpkin, garlic bulb and shallot in the oven at the same time. Roast garlic (in its protective leaf) and shallot (in its skin) for 30 minutes. Roast the pumpkin for about an hour or when a fork can easily go through the pumpkin with no effort.
- Let roasted ingredients cool. Peel the pumpkin and shallot and remove the garlic cloves from bulb. You will only be using 4 cloves from the bulb.
- In a blender or food processor, add soaked cashews, ¼ cup of water, 4 cloves of the roasted garlic, and shallot and blend until smooth.
- Add pumpkin flesh to blender and continue to blend. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with garam masala and sesame seeds and serve with crunchy chips.